The Sunday School was first organized in a school near Cascade in 1870 by Wilson Eyler, who was the only Church of God member in the community at the time.
In 1871 a successful revival meeting was held in the school house conducted by Elder Samuel Spurrier of the nearby Friends Creek congregation in Emmitsburg, Maryland, as a mission of the Friends Creek Church of God. There were up to 40 conversions during these meetings.
The first house of worship was erected in 1871 and dedicated on January 14, 1872, though the young congregation struggled to pay for the building. Records show that at the General Eldership in 1892 they paid $200 to pay off the church's debt.
During the early twentieth century, Germantown Church grew rapidly. Soon the members found they had to either build or enlarge the church. So on June 2, 1909 they decided to enlarge and have it ready for the meeting of the Eldership in October 1909.
On January 7, 1941 it was discussed to build a new church. It was decided to put in memorial windos and new pews. The next discussion was on February 7, 1947 concerning the location of a new building. On April 5 the minister, an architect, and a member of the church visited the Evangelical Church at Idaville, PA. The architect then submitted a drawing which embodied much of the plan for that building, but with modifications to suit the needs and desires of the congregation. On April 25, 1947 the plan was approved by the congregation. It was decided to use native gray sandstone for the building. The stone was donated by a member from the neaerby reef called the Devil's Race Course. On August 10, 1947 the ground was broken and on May 23, 1948 the cornerstone was laid for the present gothic revival style church. The cornerstone contains a white leatherbound Bible, a 1948 half-dollar, a copy of the Waynesboro Record Herald newspaper of that day giving an account of the event, a copy of The Messenger, the 1947 Maryland-Virginia Eldership Journal, pictures of the ground-breaking, and a list of the church membership. Construction was completed and the building dedicated on September 11, 1949.
On May 5, 1968 ground was broken for a parsonage to be built on the adjoining property and was dedicated on December 8, 1968.
On March 21, 1971 ground was broken for the educational wing annex and it was dedicated on September 12, 1971, the day the congregation celebrated their 100th anniversary.
The dedication for the Family Life Center, which is nestled within the structure of the church and educational wing, was dedicated on September 15, 1996, the congregation's 125th anniversary.
Germantown is the former name for Cascade, which takes its name from the "Great Falls" on Falls Creek between Fort Ritchie and Buena Vista Springs.
Germantown is the mother church of the Blue Mountain Church of God in Smithsburg, organized in 1912.
Germantown Church of God
Original Friends Creek Church of God
Pastor Samuel Spurrier
Friends Creek Church of God
Pastor Samuel Spurier
Old Germantown Church of God